Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

ボランティア 八日目

12:42 - Bought sushi lunch nearby. Shift starts at 1, so I'm early. Haven't signed in yet and will take around 10 minute to get there. From now on, I'll only take note of "interesting" things that happen. I'll also note every half hour. After many hours of doing this, there isn't much left to comment on.
 
1:00 - No lunch today; apparently there's been a flood and I need to divert my attention as such. Interesting just got a new name.
 
1:30 - The gist is that elevators aren't working and paths are blocked so I have to redirect and prohibit some elevator usage. Will be busy; little updates as a result
 
2:26 - Had a yogurt break because the cafeteria is right next to where I'm stationed
 
2:52 - Taking a short sit down break because standing for 2 hours straight is tiring. Watching a doctor (At least I think it's a doctor) play the piano in the cafeteria. I notice that the pedal is squeaky; must be a very old piano (Sure looks like it). Due to the lack of commentary, I'll do a small writeup when I get home. Back to work for one more hour.
 
3:01 - Now there's a giant garbage bin in the middle of the place. How pleasant
 
3:45 - Someone stole a sandwich from the cafeteria. Followed him for a bit but lost him in the maze that is the hospital.
 
So here's the small writeup I promised.
Ironically, the day I decided not to only comment on interesting things, this happens. Apparently the situation was that due to a water leak or something of the sort, most of the elevators in the major main building (I normally work in the main building for out patients) ceased to function. The situation had been somewhat alleviated by the time I got here for the shift. I was redirected to help in the major main building, and they sent me to deal with Level 2 (The building has at least 15 floors).

There were only 3 elevators working on Level 2, and my main job was to redirect people accordingly; crowd control in a sense. There were 3 other elevators working, but those are supposed to be for doctors and staff. That didn't stop regular visitors from using them, and they didn't really tell me to enforce that rule so I let it be.

Since this was the major main building, it was more busy for me than any normal day at the out patient building. As a result, updates were few on my part.

The worst part was I bought sushi prior to coming, and I thought it was going to be another slow day, so I could sit down and eat lunch. But it wasn't and I left my lunch in one of the lockers for 3 hours. Suffice to say that I didn't really want to eat it afterward. It was a bit of serendipity that I was sent to Level 2 because there was a cafeteria right next to the elevators. Eating something big would be unprofessional while working, so in the end I had a small cup of yogurt.

Speaking of food, one of the visitors informed me that someone stole a sandwich from the cafeteria. There isn't much I can do about that, so I just followed to suspect. Unfortunately, due to me keeping my distance and remaining incognito, I eventually lost him. At that time my shift was about to end, so I left and signed out.

No volunteering next week due to another midterm. Will think of a filler post for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment