Search This Blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

ラブシック スクール ガール 章八


Chapter 8: Water You Waiting For?

            “…and as a result, water molecules can form a weak link called a hydrogen bond.”
            My last class for the day was Biology, and Ms. Yagokoro was teaching us about the many properties of water. The lessoned seemed very interesting, as I was always a scientific kind of girl, but I was more transfixed on my spell card battle with Nitori after school. I knew that Nitori was technologically savvy, but that meant that I had to be prepared for anything she might use against me.
            “No! It doesn’t work at all!” My extremely bad habit of thinking out loud attracted the attention of all the students, as well as the teacher. Inevitably, this led to Ms. Yagokoro scholding me.
            “If you can’t keep up with my lessons, Alice, maybe you should consider after school tutoring!”
            After that unpleasant display of classroom delinquency, the lesson resumed. However, I paid no attention to it, and merely gazed out the window, still deep in thought. The remaining minutes of school passed by almost instantly, and the familiar sound of the school bell broke my train of thought.
            As the students left the classroom, Ms. Yagokoro gave us a friendly reminder. “Students, remember to study for your test next class. It will cover everything that you have learned this unit.” A test was the least of my worries, for now was the moment of truth. Every step I took was a step closer to settling my prolonged dispute with Nitori.
            “Margatroid!” I could hear Aya call for me from a distance, but I ignored her cry for attention and proceeded to the Danmaku Battlefield. My mind was thinking of only one thing, and that was “What the hell happened to Patchouli?”
            The time was now 3:30 PM. I stood alone in the center of the magnificent arena that was the Danmaku Battlefield. Moriya High had one of the most prestigious battlefields in all of Gensokyo, which was one of the reasons I decided to attend this school. The battlefield itself is truly a sight to behold.  At first glance, the battlefield is just an empty, spacious room. However, one can only experience its splendor first hand; through a Danmaku battle!
            “I’m here.” My voice echoed around the room, but there was no reply. Even so, it didn’t seem like I was the only one here.
            Finally, I heard the Kappa’s voice. “I think I’ve kept you waiting long enough.”
            I surveyed the room, but I failed to see anyone else. “Where are you, Nitori? Don’t play games with me.”
            “I’m right here, Alice.” As I turned my back, I could see the staunch, green figure behind me. “You can’t always trust your eyes, Alice. You should know that by now.”
            “Let’s get this over with,” I demanded. “I have a Biology test to study for and I really don’t have time for games.”
            “As you wish.” Nitori slowly walked towards the control panel. The control panel was located at the center of the right wall of the room. It was what controlled the Danmaku Battlefield; a combination of technology and magic. “Since I am the initiator of this battle, we’ll play using my rules. We’ll use three spell cards each; first to win two rounds is the victor.”
            When she finally arrived, she took out a card, and placed it in the appropriate slot. Then she pressed the button that was adjacent to it. A computerized voice announced, “Kappa World, set on,” as the room began to transform. Preparations were now complete.

            What had just been a blank room was now a shimmering valley, Kappa Valley to be more specific. Kappa Valley is located at the base of Youkai Mountain, and obviously it is where the Kappa resides. The main attractions of the valley are the river that flowed through the middle, and the waterfall, which is where the river begins.
            This was an example of a Field Spell Card. Before a Danmaku battle, one of the participants can change the battlefield using their personal Field Spell Card. It adds atmosphere to the room. After all, Danmaku is an expression of beauty. I also have a Field Spell Card, Doll World, but I rarely use it. The reason for that is because as Nitori had already mentioned, the initiator of the battle has jurisdiction over the rules. This meant that they decide how many spell cards, as well as what environment the battle will take place in.
            When Nitori was finally on the opposite side of the room, I shouted to her, “Make your move!” As I spoke those words, Nitori began to disappear until there was no trace of her left. I rubbed my eyes vigorously to remove any residue, and looked again. My original assumption was ascertained; Nitori had vanished.
            “Alice…” The room echoed my name. However, it was a much stronger echo than before, mainly because of the battlefield’s new appearance. Everything that the battlefield generated was real.
           “Your tricks won’t work on me, Nitori.” I knew she was just playing mind games. “You can’t intimidate me like this!”
            “Alice, if you wish to beat me, you cannot rely on your senses alone. You must have a mind as clear as water. But I doubt you are capable of even that.”
            The time for talk was over as Nitori declared her first Spell Card.         
“Water Sign – Hydro Camouflage!”
The water in the river began to shimmer; not much of a surprise as most of the valley composed of the liquid that was necessary for life. The water had now begun to materialize, forming ribbon-like threads of water, which danced in a sinusoidal fashion. It was like one of those fancy water fountains that I saw in Kourindo’s shop a little while back.
I now know the reason for Nitori using Kappa World. Her Danmaku is water, so in an environment lacking it, Kappa World can compensate. I never experience this problem, as I carry all my dolls, which is the source for my own Danmaku.
When in a Danmaku battle, you never really have the time to appreciate the beauty of the patterns that someone can create. Nitori’s Danmaku was no exception. If I was not the one battling her, I would most definitely applaud her creativity.
The ribbons vibrated with increased speed, until finally, they shattered into the familiar shapes of spherical Danmaku, which suspended in the air. It was a beautiful, yet scary, sight. As the water balls headed towards me, there wasn’t much I could do but prepare to graze them. In a Danmaku Battle, whoever hits their opponent first wins that round.
It was clear that I had a huge handicap. Nitori is at home in Kappa World, while my dolls don’t react too well with water. The fact that I couldn’t see Nitori only added to my dilemma.
“Alice, there’s only one question left for you to answer,” Nitori said, breaking the silence.
“Yeah?”
“Water you waiting for?”

No comments:

Post a Comment