Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

ラブシック スクール ガール 章七


Chapter 7: The Disappearance of Patchouli Knowledge

For the past week, I had stayed at my abode modifying Remote Sacrifice. I might have been missing out on my course work, but this was important to me. Besides, we all need a vacation every now and then. After many sleepless nights of complex experimentation and calculation, my project had reached completion.
“There, the perfect combination of power, speed, and beauty!” I experienced a satisfaction similar to that of when finishing a major school assignment; the only difference was that Remote Sacrifice would actually be of some use to me.
“Shanghai, this isn’t too dangerous, is it?” Like always, there was no reply. “Oh how I dream of the day that my skills become proficient enough to fabricate an independent doll!” However, that day was not today, and it was early Monday morning. I had missed enough classes already and it was time to rejoin my fellow students in Moriya High.
My homeroom seemed somewhat different. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but I was certain there was something missing. Perhaps my week-long insomnia has warped my perception of reality.
The warning bell rung, which indicated that there was only five minutes until class officially started. I saw Marisa walk cheerfully into the classroom; at least that remained the same. But I was positive there was something amiss, something out of the ordinary to say the least. “It could be those new flowers, or maybe a few students had their seating arrangement changed.”
While still brainstorming ideas on what was wrong, Ms. Kamishirasawa approached my desk. “Oh no,” I thought, “I’m going to get it now…”
            “Alice,” she began, but I wouldn’t let her finish.
            “Ms. Kamishirasawa, I can explain everything.” I was ready to bombard her with hundreds of brilliantly concocted excuses.
            “Really?” She asked. “Then could you tell me where Patchouli is?”
            This was one question I was not prepared for. Although I couldn’t answer her query, it did shed some light on my predicament. The thing that disordered the equilibrium I was accustomed to was not something new, but the absence of something old. Every morning, I savored the look on Patchouli’s face when I was getting close with Marisa. The lack of fresh air these past days has really hindered my cognitive skills greatly.
            “Patchouli?” I said in a dumbfounded manner. “What do you mean?”
            “It’s just that she hasn’t been to class recently, and I was wondering if you knew anything about it seeing as you two seem to be close friends.”
            “Well-”
            “While we’re on that topic, why were you absent last week?”
            “I’m sorry sensei; I had a personal issue to deal with at home. Everything’s alright now though.” This wasn’t a lie; I was merely stretching the truth. One thing you should know about me is that I am a master of improvisation. That skill alone has gotten me through the majority of my life as a student.
            “Don’t worry, Alice, I understand.” Sometimes I think Ms. Kamishirasawa is too gullible, but that can only result in benefitting me, so I won’t complain! “Be sure to inform me if you hear anything new.”
            Patchouli was never one to play hooky, so I knew something was out of the ordinary. Unfortunately, all the neurons in my brain could not fathom a reason for her sudden disappearance. Maybe someone else is holding the answer, but whom? As much as I despised to do so, I had no choice but to dance with the devil after class ended.
            The lunch bell finally rang, and I leaned nonchalantly near the door. As she finally attempted to leave, I unleashed some puppeteer string to partially block the exit in the same fashion a spider spins a web. A beautiful show indeed, but the devil was not at all impressed.
            “Nitori” I addressed her while finishing my intricate string pattern.
            “Out of my way! You’re using up the one thing that even my brilliance can’t invent; time!” It seems like her attitude was another thing that remained unchanged during my absence.
            “This is about Patchouli.” I said while increasing my tone with her.
            “What about Patchouli?” Nitori’s reply implied that she didn’t really care.
            “Why isn’t she going to school?” I asked.
            “How would I know?” Again, she didn’t sound like she cared.
            “You two are close, so I thought you might have an idea.”
            “Well maybe I do and maybe I don’t.” She said with her signature smirk. After not seeing that for what seemed like forever, the moment my eyes locked into contact with it, I went berserk.
            “This is important!” The sudden burst of my voice resulted in Ms. Kamishirasawa giving us a queer look. Until now, she was unaware of our little quarrel, and was busy grading our assignments.
            “Alice, Nitori, settle your personal disputes outside of the classroom.” Ms. Kamishirasawa told us.
            “Very well, Margatroid.” Nitori said. “Let’s have a spell card battle.”
            “I don’t have time for-”
            “If you win,” she interrupted, “then I’ll answer one question a hundred per cent truthfully.”
            She had acquired my interest, but I was reluctant to ask what the consequences were if I were to lose.
            “If you lose…” After a momentary silence, she finally continued. “Then you must do anything I tell you to do without question.”
            “How is that fair?” I objected
            “How is it not fair?” Nitori retorted. “If you win, I’ll do anything you tell me without question. I just know that you’ll use that prize to ask me what has happened to Patchouli, so I merely reconstructed the conditions of the competition to better adhere to your needs.”
            I never had a spell card battle with Nitori before, so I’m completely clueless on what she has up her sleeves. I wanted to accept this wager, but I could only imagine what Nitori could ask me to do if she beat me. Nevertheless, this was the only way to acquire the information that I desired.
            “Well?” Nitori pressured me.
            “Very well. After school, at the school’s Danmaku Battlefield.”
            I retracted my puppeteer strings, and with one last smirk, Nitori left the classroom to attend to her own matters. The rest of lunchtime sped right by me; I was too consumed by what I had just done in agreeing to this.
            “Danmaku is about speed, if you hit your opponent quicker than they can react, then you’ve basically won half the battle.  Remember that fact.” Those words kept echoing inside my head. “Well Aya, I guess it’s time to test your advice!”

No comments:

Post a Comment