Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

ボランティア 初日目

After Friday I really don't want to type anything comprehensive, so I'll just be posting my self commentary about my volunteering. If you know what I do, good for you. If you don't, too bad; it's obvious after reading my commentary.


1:05 - Called regarding a page; turns out it was yesterday

1:10 - Someone asked for a Dr.___ but since I don't know all the doctor names, the best I could do was redirect to the specific floor

1:16 - "Where is the lab?" Probably the most common question I'll be asked the volunteer who trained me said. But it's also one of the easiest: Right next to the door.  As a hobby I count how many times it gets asked every shift

1:17 - Someone asked for a fax machine. Odd request

1:19 - Cardiology is on floor 9 but I told them floor 7 (Cardiac). But I caught them before the elevator closed. My fault for slacking studies during break

1:25 - Telephone? Dial 9 before calling.

1:27 - Looking for an out of town doctor. Hope she's there.

1:36 - Looking for a general surgeon. "If you could be more specific...oh hey it's on the board.

1:42 - Need security regarding a car accident. Interesting things happen all the time

1:45 - Need a taxi? Use the phone where the sign says taxi with an arrow. If people read signs I would be out of a volunteer position.

1:55 - This building is for out patients. If you want to visit someone, go to the in patient building.

2:04 - CT scan. Only problem is that there are multiple buildings for that. But there is none here on the ground floor.

2:06 - Lab. I can tell by the blue form.

2:10 - Pancreas? I think that's gastroenterology? I could be completely wrong though.

2:15 - Not this building for visiting. But the entire complex is a beast I don't blame anyone for not knowing where ___ is.

2:17 - Always happy to help a handicap person.

2:30 - A met a new employee who works as a dietitian. Apparently new employees have a Seek and Find thing thy have to do. And guess what my job is? Even so, I didn't know where most of the things were. After all, it's my first day too!

2:35 - It's past the halfway mark, going to get a coffee. Heard the cafe here is nice.

2:40 - Got a Chai Tea Chiller. Apparently I'm the second person to buy a chiller. Understandable since it's cold outside. But I've been indoors all day so I want something cool. Has an interesting taste which will keep me going for the other half. But it shouldn't be as busy now.

2:41 - Blood test. Lab. Near the entrance.

3:00 - Had to take a new volunteer to the Volunteer resources building. Took about 15 minutes-bye bye washroom break.

3:06 - When does the building close? I'm not sure actually, but a safe time to assume would be 4-5PM

3:11 - They really need to install a photocopy machine.

3:15 - People think I have ESP when I ask them "Are you looking for the lab?" I wish I did; but I tell from the blue form.

3:32 - Two parking questions in a row! C-c-combo.

3:38 - My shift ends at 4:00 PM but for today I'm leaving my post early to write down all the doctor names. That way I have a reference list for easier helping.

4:20 - 20 minutes past my shift but I'm still here because I witnessed a crime. A homeless person was stealing the hand sanitized containers; probably to drink the alcohol.






No comments:

Post a Comment