Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

ボランティア 十日目

1:18 - Bad start is bad. Lunch was a slice of pizza, which I didn't finish due to time restraints. Lots o complaints; elaboration later
 
1:50 - So hungry
 
2:04 - Someone trying to learn English by reading the directory board. I admire their ambition, but I think it would be better not to start with medical terms with a Latin origin
 
2:09 - Some guy was singing "I Want it that Way" by the Backstreet Boys out loud. Funny stuff.
 
2:30 - Family dispute over; explain later
 
2:35 - Labbbbbbb!
 
2:44 - Why do the lights stay on at night in this building. What a random question, but any random question can be answered with Science!
 
3:00 - Wheelchair time! But there aren't any in this building so I went to the next closest to get one. When I got back I got tipped. I'm not allowed to take money, but I did to avoid the inevitable dispute that would follow if I didn't. So I took it and put it in the change purse for future wheelchair endeavors
 
3:24 - Most people who don't want help will politely say no, as they should. This one rude fellow replied "Do you think I'm ****ing stupid?" Of course after that I kept silent to keep my job. But I do think he is of lower intellect if he has to resort to profanity to emphasis a reply. Guy pride; my worst enemy
 
3:39 - Suddenly, an influx of lab questions
 
 
Today started out pretty rotten. I received various complaints from visitors, all of which were out of my control. It's not my fault that two other volunteers misguided you, and it's not my fault your lost agenda was at the information desk and not with security; these things I was not present for, and I cannot take any responsibility.
That's the thing about being a volunteer at a highly respected institution (In this case, the hospital). People expect you to know everything, and that is simply too much to expect from a volunteer.

An interesting aside, there was this rebellious kid, most likely in the lower numbers of grade school. Apparently the situation was that he stole something from the Shopper's Drug Mart, but since I was busy with the job I didn't pay attention to much of the details. Nothing too big, but a pleasant distraction.

"Why do the lights stay on at night in this building?" is probably the most interesting question I've received on the job. I proceeded to explain circuits, the properties of a light bulb, and how constant turning on/off of the switch can result in more power wasted over time. That's Physics for you.

So overall it was a pleasant day, but the pleasantries were ruined by a very rude man. It's my job to ask if you need any assistance, and a simple "No thanks" would suffice to reject that offer. Saying "Do you think I'm ****ing stupid?" only shows that you are, because your vernacular is too incompetent to articulate a more sophisticated response. If I were not on the job, or if I could say that without risk of losing the volunteer position, I would totally. Like I mentioned before, most people are very polite rejecting my offer for help, but there's still the rare anomaly of this sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment